Saturday, December 25, 2004

Happy Holidays Folks

(This blog entry was formerly in the form of a mass email to all my family and friends...)

Ho Ho Ho
I can't believe that time of year is already upon us again. I look outside and nothing is different. It's still hot, the palm trees still have leaves (do palm trees have leaves?), the shopping malls are the same as they always are (non existant), and life is good.

Here's wishing you a happy holiday season from the armpit of Africa. I know some of you have been expecting emails from me for a while, others dont care to read this email, and others are pissed because I havent been updating my blog.

I have been quite busy here in the past month or so. It all started with me switching posts and moving from the dirtiest loudest most aggressive city in the world, to one of the dustiest, quietest, most peaceful little towns in the world. This is one of the better decisions I've made in my life as I am a thousand times happier now. Starting in January I get to work with kids, tutoring them in English and possibly taking on teaching high school english classes. This is a daunting task consdering class sizes range from 80 to 120 students. I look forward to the challenge and it will be a great relief from sitting in corrupt banks preteding I know what im doing. My new town is called NANGA EBOKO (no relation to EBOLA VIRUS). I still have my cell phone for those of you who care to call. Unfortunately internet access may be more rare for me, so those blog updates may not come as often as i would like them to.

For Christmas I am heading down to see my host family with whom I lived for my 2 months of training when I first got here. I look forward to it, apparently the beer and food and festivities and family will be plentiful. I do miss the holiday season in the states, where I would normally be watching Bronco games with my Dad and going to Reno to visit my lovely sisters. Not to worry, I get to do all that good stuff again in '06.

For New Years, if any of you are cold, you can think of me, as I will be spending 5 nights in the beachside resort of Kribi Cameroon. White sandy beaches, cold beer, warm water, and a new years buffet. I will be accompanied by a lovely young lady named Jen. I am tanned already, I will be a true african after this trip. Then its back to NANGA EBOKO to teach. Then I only have to wait a month for my bEST BUDDY BLAKE NOLAN to come on down to the armpit for a month of exciting adventures roaming this chaotic country.

MERRY CHISTMAS, HAPPY CHANNUKAH, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Love Al, Allen, Abay, Mr. Banick, Alain, etc.

3 Comments:

At January 2, 2005 at 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel like I've been here before. Deja Vu or...... the twilight zone? Bizarrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeee

Broncos 33 - Colts 14 Manning didn't play, can't belive they will beat them again next week!

Go Broncos, Go African Beaches, Go Al!

 
At January 3, 2005 at 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tony,

One of these days we should take Al on one of our desert trips.... if he thinks African roads are rough wait until he sees Chicken Rock!

 
At January 7, 2005 at 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Al,

You left us out of your mass mailing but your Dad forwarded your letter to us. Tell us more about the lovely Jen. We celebrated New Year's Day (and Grandpa's birthday) by going to a movie. I fixed spaghetti for Grandpa's birthday dinner per his request. It is currently snowing in Sequim. This is the first snow of the year and so far is not newsworthy.

Hugs,
Grandma B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home