Tuesday, July 27, 2004

My Visit to the White House was dirty

Hello from beautiful Yaounde, Cameroon!

I've been in the capital city of this crazy country for the past 2 nights attending what they call "counterpart workshop." It was basically a two day event where we (the Small Enterprise Development volunteers) got to meet the people we will primarily be working with during our 2 year service (called our "counterparts"). Aside from getting sick (I only get sick when I come to this damn city, when we stay in a nice clean, hotel, and eat good food, go figure...) and puking my brains out, it's been great.  I'm over the illness now, and enjoying some FREE internet time at the "Case" (the Volunteer "dorm" at the PC office in Yaounde). You can really see the Peace Corps budget cuts in action here, some of the beds are older than the Peace Corps itself. It's kind of like a frat house, lots of noise, and loudness at all hours (although it is quiet right now). Our, Pat and my (Pat being my roommate and coworker for the next two years) counterparts seem to be great people. They are very excited to have us and it seems like they have plenty for us to do. I was a little nervous they wouldn't be so excited about us coming to replace two of the best volunteers this country has ever seen (seriously). But they are great, and we already started developing a nice friendship (they're in their early thirties, so we get along great). One of them said "Nous sommes ensembles, et nous sommes d'abord freres, apres collegues" meaning, "we are together (a cameroonian saying), and we are first brothers, then coworkers.) Sounds like a great time to me, they said they have much to show us in the big city, where we will be moving in just ten short days.

When we got to Yaounde on Saturday, we made a point to check out the Hilton in town, supposedly one of the nicest hotels in country. It was like being in Miami for the afternoon. I honestly forgot I was in Cameroon. We had some friends staying the night there, and they snuck us into the pool. I ate (a really expensive) pizza, drank a pina colada (or two), and swam in the pool with exotic parrots staring at us from their little cages. We then went up to the very top of the building (the 12th floor) and played pool and watched Lance Armstrong win the Tour de France. It was nice to see civilization again, but it was, in the end, a waste of time and money. I'm sure that a year or so from now, I will be dying to spend a few nights there. (Dad, if you're reading, I've already made reservations, bring your credit card ;) )

I went to the White House last night. I ate fish with my hands, and drank beer with my mouth. The president was quite amused. The white house is actually a restaurant in yaounde (had you fooled, didnt I?) where they serve grilled fish and chicken. Really good food, and a favorite hangout for volunteers. I met some more volunteers who I will be seeing quite often in the West province where I will live. Should be fun...I have a feeling, in fact I know, we will be getting a lot of visitors at our apartment. Being in the provincial capital, and having a guest bedroom, a lot of volunteers will be stopping in to stay there. We will charge a small fee per night, and turn down people we dont like (there are unfriendly people in the Peace Corps, believe it or not, not that many though,). Everyone keeps saying "ooooh, you got that apartment in Bafoussam? It has hot water! I hate you! I hope you like visitors!" It's starting to get really old.

I went to a Cameroonian talent show last week. It was organized by the Cameroonian communty center in our training town, and some of my fellow trainees performed in acts such as: Cross dressed performance of that one song from the movie "Grease", a poetry reading by Stanley (the coolest 79 year old in the world), a salsa perfromance by Richard (aka Ricky Martin), some blues singing, and many more acts. Many of the Cameroonian acts were good, but there was this one group who performed about 6 times throughout the show. Two guys, a girl, and an old synthesizer. Horrible voices, horrible songs. But I was rooting for them because they were getting hissed and yelled at (Cameroonians dont actually say "booo", they just yell and tell you how they really feel). The audience was quite large and very loud.

I've been following the Tour de France. I think it gets more coverage here in Cameroon than it does in the states. Lance Armstrong is the most amazing athlete ever. People here love him, how could you not? 38 years old (or so), he beat cancer, and has won 6 times in a row. Thats amazing, no matter where you watch it from.

It's 12:20am and I'm really tired. Not much sleep in the past few days, and I just used whatever remaining brain power I have winning a game of scrabble. Tomorrow I tour the headquarters office of ADAF-the NGO I will be working with. Bonne nuit.















5 Comments:

At July 28, 2004 at 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Consider the Hilton a done deal!

Dad

 
At July 28, 2004 at 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey bro, We are so proud of all the success you are having so far. Keep up the good work. We loving hearing all about your adventures, so keep updating. WE LOVE YOU
Mel

 
At July 28, 2004 at 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came to the blog to complain about lack of updates - well done :)

I can't believe there is a hilton ... crazy. must have been like a min ivacation for you!

that really sucks about peace corps moochers already being hip to your spot!!! at least u can wash the hippies, do some good. I know you and Pat will prove to be just as effective and well liked as your mentors. It can be no other way really.

I am watching the Democratic National Convention on C-Span and CNN. Edwards just gave his speech and it was very good. He's a very good speaker and he kept it positive. The delegates are now putting their offical votes in for Kerry Edwards as the pres and vice. kinda cool. Blog coverage of the convention is amazing, with 40 bloggers actually having press credentials and covering the show from the floor. great stuff - conventionbloggers.com

ok allen keep it real and keep the updates coming -

-Mike

 
At July 30, 2004 at 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you're having an amazing time. No room for self-doubt, I'm sure you and Pat will be just as successful as your mentors. I would have loved to see the talent show. It sounds like a bad night of Karaoke over and over and over again, although I must say that the social scene you describe is quite intriguing. It's amazing how people who have so little get along just fine, can still laugh and have fun. I can't imagine the daily struggle of just plain survival. We're talking the basics. No luxuries. What a journey that would be. I'm not sure if it makes me grateful or painfully depressed that I live in a society of ultra capitalistic vultures and over-consumption. A society where people continually live beyond their means, acquiring possessions, trying to fill some sort of void. A void that many don't realize is an empty soul. Anyways, on that depressing note, keep updating I love you and miss you my brother.
E.

 
At August 1, 2004 at 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Al,

We loved your pictures and look forward to your weekly updates. Your writings may even entice us to fly over there for a visit.

Your site is about to become a class assignment project for the Albuquerque, N.M. Elementary School District. During the recent Lavender Festival we were discussing your adventures (bragging about you) to the sister of the woman who owns the farm where we help out. The sister is a therapist with the school district, she visited your site and was so impressed that she turned it over to district's teachers. You may get some requests from teachers or students for additional information once school begins in the Fall.

Keep up the good work, we are proud of you.

Grandpa B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home